Cemetery - Sv Petar
The islands of Ilovik and Sv. Petar similar as the neighboring islets of the Lošinj archipelago for a long time belonged to the Osor and later to the Krk diocese.Day laborers from Veli Lošinj worked on the church estates and owned only temporary and seasonal dwellings on the island. If one of them died on Ilovik the body was transported by boat to the bay of Martvaška (in Croatian mrtvačeva uvala = “dead man's bay“) in the southern part of the island of Lošinj and was further carried by the island trail to the cemetery in Veli Lošinj. Only in the first half of the 18th century the island of Ilovik was permanently populated when the present-day village of the same name was founded. Since the former Benedictine church of St. Peter still existed on the island of Sv. Petar they began to bury their dead within the remains of outer walls of the former monastery. That way a long tradition of carrying the deceased by boat to the burial place was preserved and residents of Ilovik jokingly say that they are the best sailors in the world because they "sail even after death".
A tavern by the docks opened in 1898 and to this day welcomes guests.
Although boats always anchored in the shallows in front of today's Ilovik, the port was built at the end of the 19th century, when previously agricultural oriented residents of Ilovik became skilled fishermen as wel.
The Benedictine monastery was built on the ruins of the Roman and Byzantine building, and it was in function until 1280 when together with Benedictine monastery from Susak it came into possession of the Osor diocese. Only remains of the perimetric monastery wall now serving as fence walls of the cemetery are still preserved. Three-nave church of St. Peter was demolished at the end of the 19th century.
In order to prevent attacks the Venetian governor (providur) Filippo Pasqualigo ordered a construction of the fortress on the island of Sv. Petar which the residents of Ilovik call Fortica or Kulin.