Gornje Selo - Donje Selo Stairs
There was only one settlement, known as Sansikovo, Sansego or Susak, on the island of Susak until the mid 19th century. Due to the economic development, especially wine growing, population rapidly increased, so during the 19th century in the bay below the village, on Spjaža, many houses and commercial buildings were built, and in1874 first port was opened. Settlement in the port was named Donje selo, while the older was called Gornje selo. In 1906, in order to facilitate communication between the settlements, the stairs were constructed.
The most important event for the island in the early Middle Ages was the establishment and construction of the Benedictine monastery of St. Michael (later St. Nicholas) which was built and donated to the Abbey of Monte Cassino by the Croatian king Krešimir in the second half of the 11th century (1070).
The first Susak cemetery was located near the parish church of St. Nicholas (Cimatorij), but due to the rapid development of the settlement, around 1818 a new cemetery was constructed (today’s cemetery at Merine).
Building of a Communal house, which was the main gathering place and centre of social life for residents of Susak, was built in 1952 and after ten years it remained virtually empty because of mass emigration to the United States. The Emigrants club was opened in 1988 in the same building besides post office and ambulance.