Building of the Former National (Croatian) Home
In 1906, the National Home was opened in a beautiful neo-classicist building on the Veli Lošinj quay, a place for encounters of Croatian patriots, the successors of those who fought to obtain confirmation of the centuries-old right to the old Slavic language in church in the early 19th century and those who were the first ones to establish the Croatian Library on Kvarner islands in 1867.
In 1987 a team of the Research Institute Tethys started a long research of biology, ecology and social structure of the community of bottlenose dolphins that colonize the sea around the islands of Cres and Losinj. Today these dolphins are one of the best-explored groups in the whole Mediterranean. The size of the community is estimated at 120 individuals.
In the 18th century, a small single-nave church was erected on the cape, which seamen used as orientation while navigating. The Chapel of Annunciation of Mary or Madona, as it is popularly referred to, was provided with its neo-classicist style with characteristic stripes of lighter and darker stone in the late 19th century. Generations of renowned Veli Lošinj families Budinić and Stuparić are buried in it.
Austrian Archduke Ferdinand Maximilian, commander of the Austro-Hungarian Navy at the time, laid the cornerstone for a large breakwater himself in 1856.
In the early 16th century, probably in 1510, the residents of Veli Lošinj built a new three-nave church of Virgin Mary (Our Lady of the Angels) and a bell tower next to it.