Benedictine abbey of St Michael (St Nicholas)
The most important event for the island in the early Middle Ages was the establishment and construction of the Benedictine monastery of St. Michael (later St. Nicholas) which was built and donated to the Abbey of Monte Cassino by the Croatian king Krešimir in the second half of the 11th century (1070). Presumably, the monastery occupied the location where the remains of a Roman residential complex were located. Of the former mediaeval abbey only north-eastern part of the corner wall of "kaštel" (defensive tower) is still preserved. It is assumed that the contemporary town square represented the cloister of the monastery, and two cistern crowns tell us that the monastery was divided into male and female part. Monastery buildings covered the area of a complex of contemporary buildings that now surround the square. Modern parish church, with modifications, is in function from the Romanesque period. Benedictine abbey of Susak functioned until 1280, when the last abbot donated it to the Osor diocese. Over the centuries the walls of the former monastery complex were dismantled due to the lack of building stone needed for the construction of other buildings. A mediaeval lunette with the sign of the cross, now mounted in front of the parish church of St. Nicholas is still preserved. It is a lintel of some sacral object.
The first Susak cemetery was located near the parish church of St. Nicholas (Cimatorij), but due to the rapid development of the settlement, around 1818 a new cemetery was constructed (today’s cemetery at Merine).
Building of a Communal house, which was the main gathering place and centre of social life for residents of Susak, was built in 1952 and after ten years it remained virtually empty because of mass emigration to the United States. The Emigrants club was opened in 1988 in the same building besides post office and ambulance.