Cemetery and chapel of our Lady of Sorrows

The first Susak cemetery was located near the parish church of St. Nicholas (Cimatorij), but due to the rapid development of the settlement, around 1818 a new cemetery was constructed (today’s cemetery at Merine). Cemetery chapel of Our Lady of Sorrows was built in the early 20th century

Read more

Cultural-historical heritage

Benedictine abbey of St Michael (St Nicholas)

Benedictine abbey of St Michael (St Nicholas)

The most important event for the island in the early Middle Ages was the establishment and construction of the Benedictine monastery of St. Michael (later St. Nicholas) which was built and donated to the Abbey of Monte Cassino by the Croatian king Krešimir in the second half of the 11th century (1070).

 

Communal house - Donje Selo, 1952

Building of a Communal house, which was the main gathering place and centre of social life for residents of Susak, was built in 1952 and after ten years it remained virtually empty because of mass emigration to the United States. The Emigrants club was opened in 1988 in the same building besides post office and ambulance.

 
Gornje Selo - Donje Selo Stairs

Gornje Selo - Donje Selo Stairs

In 1906, in order to facilitate communication between the settlements, the stairs were constructed.