Cultural-historical heritage

Blue world

Blue world

In 1987 a team of the Research Institute Tethys started a long research of biology, ecology and social structure of the community of bottlenose dolphins that colonize the sea around the islands of Cres and Losinj. Today these dolphins are one of the best-explored groups in the whole Mediterranean. The size of the community is estimated at 120 individuals.

 
Building of the Former National (Croatian) Home

Building of the Former National (Croatian) Home

In 1906, the National Home was opened in a beautiful neo-classicist building on the Veli Lošinj quay, a place for encounters of Croatian patriots, the successors of those who fought to obtain confirmation of the centuries-old right to the old Slavic language in church in the early 19th century and those who were the first ones to establish the Croatian Library on Kvarner islands in 1867.

 
Church of Our Lady of the Angels

Church of Our Lady of the Angels

In the early 16th century, probably in 1510, the residents of Veli Lošinj built a new three-nave church of Virgin Mary (Our Lady of the Angels) and a bell tower next to it.

 
Parish Church of Sv Antun Opat

Parish Church of Sv Antun Opat

The church is a monument to the glory of Veli Lošinj seamen, as well as their last resting place. Numerous members of the Petrina Raguzin, Budunić, Leva, Busanić and other families were buried in the church and around it.

 
Breakwater Rovenska

Breakwater Rovenska

Austrian Archduke Ferdinand Maximilian, commander of the Austro-Hungarian Navy at the time, laid the cornerstone for a large breakwater himself in 1856.

 
Chapel of Annunciation of Mary

Chapel of Annunciation of Mary

In the 18th century, a small single-nave church was erected on the cape, which seamen used as orientation while navigating. The Chapel of Annunciation of Mary or Madona, as it is popularly referred to, was provided with its neo-classicist style with characteristic stripes of lighter and darker stone in the late 19th century. Generations of renowned Veli Lošinj families Budinić and Stuparić are buried in it.

 
Fish Market

Fish Market

Fish Market, 1898

 
Parish Court and the Church of Sv Josip

Parish Court and the Church of Sv Josip

In 1849, the Veli Lošinj priest Marko Raguzin began to build the Church of Sv. Josip in the place of the former Chapel of Sv. Josip, including a house intended for a monastery.