Abbey of Saint George
Abbey of St. George - Established by the Benedictines, the abbey was first mentioned in 1166 in documents describing the consecration of the new, second Romanesque church of St. Tryphon in Kotor. The occasion was attended by, among others, Ivan, the abbot of St. George. However, in studying various ornamentation on this structure, it can be concluded that the abbey was already in use by the Benedictines as early as the 9th century. Except for certain details, the appearance of the old church has not been preserved.
The original church was built in the mid-15th century and was of modest proportions.